Saturday, June 28, 2014

Remembering a great woman

June 27th:

It was date night yesterday and I did something that I had waited nine years to get done.  I got a tattoo.  So here's the back story.  I got it for my grandmother and my child's namesake,
Elizabeth Gaddie.


 She died of cancer in 2005, a few short months after my first Avon walk.  In the months following her death, anytime I was alone my brain went back to the fact that she was gone.  One day at work, in a particularly dark funk, I was doing rounds and saw a monarch butterfly just kind of floating along not far from me.  As soon as I saw it I felt better, my mood lifted and I just kept watching the butterfly.  It floated on over to a valve handle not far from me and landed, and just sat there.  I moved closer to it, expecting it to take off, the whole time with this euphoric wave of peace that everything was ok, that my grandma was ok and I should be too.  I got within inches of touching the butterfly before it took off and floated away.  I don't recall my grandmother having an affinity for butterflies, and I didn't have one before that day but I love them now.  They are a symbol for metamorphosis, change, and beauty. My grandmother was a beautiful, strong woman and I hope to live my life in a way that carries on her example.  So here it is, freshly done


 I will wear this proudly with the hopes of starting many conversations. All because I was crazy enough to ink my arm after a butterfly landed near me and reminded me that death is not the end, just something different than the path we are on.

On a side note, not all people will understand the choices you make but you will have to make them nonetheless if you intend to stay true to yourself. 

<3<3<3

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love!!! You are most definitely following in her footsteps....beautiful and strong...and don't forget just plain AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete