Monday, January 13, 2014

Magic comes with a price...

Jan 13th:


I am completely loving on the Once Upon a Time series right now, which explains the title of this post and the gist of today's message.  And the gist is this: "Avoid the urge to take the quick way out, magic comes with a price."  There is a whole industry set up around preying on our insecurities.  Pills that melt the fat away for you, diets that put you on a crash course for three days but promise like 5lbs of weight lost, 8 minutes of exercise that will give you rock hard abs, all of it is snake oil.  Even if the pills work, do you want the side effects that come later? Anyone old enough to remember fen phen? That did not end well. 


I know the urge first hand after being in two weight loss competitions that spanned three months.  The end of the second one had me within 4 pounds of my weight loss goal.  I wanted to be there so bad I googled 4lbs in 3 days and what I found made me realize that though I wanted to be at my goal weight, I didn't want to sabotage myself in the long run.   Pretty much anything that works that fast is not something you can maintain, so as soon as you stop, the weight will come back, and with a vengeance depending on how crazy the plan was.  I have spent years putting on the pounds, it is only fair that I give myself a reasonable amount of time to lose it.

Yes, making a healthy lifestyle takes time.  It takes time for your body to adjust to the changes you subject it to, it takes time to prepare meals that don't come in a box (Sunday is a good day to bake off a tray of chicken for the week to come), it takes time to exercise.  Time is the greatest asset we have and when we invest our time in ourselves and towards our family (cooking healthy doesn't just affect you if you are the chef for the house) we shall reap rewards, all in good time.  <3


No comments:

Post a Comment